Monday 26 August 2013

Grandma’s bean soup recipe

"It is a very old Latvian recipe – I think around 100 years at least." ~ Auntie Laima

One package red kidney beans about 4 cups. Put in a bowl just cover with cold water and leave overnight. Drain in the morning and put them in a large pot.

2 cups of pearl barley
2 large cubed potatoes
2 carrots sliced
1 large onion diced
1 smoked pork hock or smoked ribs (about 1 kg)
1 large bay leaf
10 peppercorns or equivalent amount of ground pepper.
A couple of cloves of garlic
Salt to taste (depends on how salty the smoked meat is)

Cover with generous amount of water. Bring to boil turn down heat to simmer and let it just bubble away till everything is soft and cooked. I like my soup rather thick and so I let the water boil down quite a bit but for a thinner soup don’t boil it as long.

When done take out the pork hock, let cool and then cube the meat and put it back in the pot.

Always tastes better the next day.

2 comments:

Jamie Ridler Studios said...

Yum! Yum! Yum!

Thanks for sharing these recipes, Suzie!

Suzie Ridler said...

You're welcome! I thought it would be nice to have recipes up here. When I get the chance, I will put Mom's up too.